01 November 2014

Family Celebrations

My family is a large family, and I love that there are so many of us. It makes family gatherings quite entertaining because there are so many people to catch up with, and we all have such distinct personalities. We can easily fill a room, and the noise level, depending on the side of the family, can make it difficult to hear oneself think. I would not change any of this.

That being said, I found my family bridal shower to be awkward and intimidating, not because of who was in the room but because of how many were in the room. Counting aunts, cousins, and cousins-once-removed to invite to bridal showers easily adds up to about 75 people. While it is rare to have every one of these ladies able to be at an event like a family bridal shower, it is not uncommon to have about 30 to 40 able to attend. As someone who is uncomfortable in most social situations, I found being the center of all this attention rather nerve-wracking.

I am not sure if my sister felt the same way back in September when I threw her a bridal shower to celebrate her future nuptials with our family, but she seemed to have more composure than I did. For that, I was slightly jealous.

I have been to quite a few bridal showers in which guests have to play games centered around how well one knows the bride. In a family as large as ours, it can be quite impossible to know a cousin or niece as well as the questions of those games ask. So, I asked myself why not flip that concept around?

Thus, a bridal shower theme developed around favorite things. I tried to pick out my sister's favorite foods to serve to our guests. I included a recipe card with the invitations for guests to fill out a favorite recipe to share with my sister, and I encouraged them to consider including a spice listed in the recipe as part of their bridal shower gift. I should not have been surprised, but it was amazing to see such a big response to this gesture.

When it came time for a few games, we played Guess the Age of the Bride. This seemed like a game that would have an equal playing field, and it certainly proved challenging for many. I picked out ten photos of my sister from birth on up, numbered them randomly, and had the women attendees write down my sister's age next to the corresponding photo number on a worksheet. Considering my sister was asked what grade she was going into a few months before her wedding, not many people guessed very many of the ages correctly. It was highly entertaining.

We ran out of good table space, but this cart worked out well for staging the first game.

The best game by far, though, had to have been Last Purse Standing. The whole purpose of this game was to reward the woman who had the most junk stuffed into her purse. My mother and I complied a lengthy list thinking we might need it, but we only got to about the fifteenth item on our list. It was a fitting game in honor of my sister as she nearly gave me a huge welt one time when we were in high school after she had whacked me with her purse. When I screamed out in agony and asked her what she had in her purse, she pulled out a padlock, a golf ball, and quite a few other very random items. For the game, ladies had to produce the item and hold it up for everyone to see. I have never seen so many women digging through purses so frantically before. It was amusing for me to administer, and judging from the laughter and smiles from our family and friends, it was an exhilarating game for them.

I was able to snap one picture at the beginning of the game Last Purse Standing before my camera died.

In keeping with a favorite theme, I gave out prizes to the winners of the games we played. Each of these gift bags was filled with either some of my sister's current favorite things or something she really liked as a child. There was a gift bag full of bath items that included my sister's favorite body cleanser, Neutrogena grapefruit scented body wash. Another gift bag included Leinenkugel's Honey Weiss beer with honey roasted peanuts, the only kind of peanut she would ever eat as a child. A third gift bag was filled with some Minnesota Twins drink-ware items.

The most expensive gift bag contained the movie Gone With the Wind along with some of her favorite candies like Reese's Pieces and Skittles. The Reese's Pieces was a current favorite, but the Skittles had a fun story from when she was small and constantly running around school during our brothers' basketball games with the rainbow colored candy. One of the priests at the Catholic school we attended always asked if she would share some Skittles with him when he stopped in to watch the games. Sometimes she would say yes, and sometimes she would say no. Then one time when our family brought the gifts up to the altar during Sunday mass, this same priest said to my sister, "Gee, Katie, I thought you were going to bring me some Skittles." Needless to say, everyone got a good chuckle out of that.

However, the most entertaining bag had to have been the one filled with coffee and powdered sugar mini-donuts. My sister refused to eat any other kind of doughnut as a kid after Sunday mass on fellowship days. My parents have stories about how she would bring the doughnuts, wrapped in napkins, home with her, and she would get powdered sugar everywhere in the car. I remember sometimes finding half-eaten doughnuts nearly a week later, still wrapped in its napkin somewhere around the house.

When it came time to open her gifts, my sister was certainly blessed by some very generous family members. I am always amazed at how giving people can be in our family. That is probably what makes families so great. We share joys and sorrows with each other, and we are a support network. Whether it is starting a new family or beginning a new marriage, families can be the best kind of encouragement.


No comments:

Post a Comment