13 March 2014

Scalloped Potatoes - An Old Family Recipe

I have not decided if my mother will threaten bodily harm for spilling family recipe secrets, but this comfort food recipe is too good not to share. If you are used to modern cooking recipes, this is not one of those. There was a time when recipes were written for women who cooked all the time, and the wording tended to be vague and ambiguous because it was assumed the reader would understand even the simplest of guidelines. Modern cookbooks do not read like old fashioned cookbooks. I will have to share a few more old fashioned recipes as proof, but for now, here is the yummiest supper dish ever.

Scalloped Potatoes

Peel potatoes and slice. Rinse off well. (Note: my mother always used to soak them in water for a bit to remove some of the starch from the potatoes. Reserve the starch water for another use if you like.) Grease the bottom of a roasting pan. Layer potatoes, salt and pepper, butter, flour, and ham. Repeat the layers to fill the roaster. Pour in milk. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

The thinner the potato slices the better. I have used mandolin slicers in the past for this.

My first layer filled up about half of my roasting pan. I really need a larger pan.

Add as much or as little ham as you like. Hubby always says things could use more meat, so I added a lot.

Do not forget to add the milk like I almost did this time. We drink whole milk in this household. :)

Mmm! Yummy!

Tips:
  • Use about half of a stick of butter for the first layer.
  • Sprinkle about 2 Tbsp flour per layer for exact measurements.
  • Fill with milk about half way up the pan.
  • Cover when baking, stirring about halfway through.
  • Add more flour to thicken as needed, more milk to thin.
  • Bake for about an hour or until desired tenderness.


No comments:

Post a Comment